Set the Stage for a Healthy Pregnancy With Preconception Planning
If you are thinking of having a baby, you’ll want to give your child the best possible start in life, and that begins before conception.
By reviewing your physical condition and health habits with an obstetrician before you become pregnant, you can lay the groundwork for a healthy pregnancy and a more positive birthing experience.
During this preconception visit, your physician will:
- Make sure you’ve had all necessary vaccines
- Help you get any chronic conditions under control before conception
- Review all medications and supplements you take to make sure they are safe for your baby
- Help you stop smoking and avoid secondhand smoke, if that’s an issue
- Get your weight under control to prevent complications during pregnancy
- Review both partners’ family histories to help identify genetic disease and recommend genetic counseling or testing if needed
- Discuss an appropriate exercise program
- Discuss the importance of a proper diet, calcium and prenatal vitamins with folic acid
To prepare your body for pregnancy and increase your chances of having a healthy baby, call 706-721-CARE (2273) or 800-736-CARE (2273) now to schedule a preconception exam with a skilled obstetrician.