Pediatric Neuropsychology Services
Goal of Service
The primary goal of Pediatric Neuropsychology at Georgia Regents Neuroscience Center is to provide state-of-the-art neuropsychological evaluation and diagnosis of disorders of higher cortical functioning involving language, perception, learning, memory and attention in children and adolescents one through 21 years of age. Typically, this includes children and adolescents with neurodevelopmental disorders such as:
- Dyslexia and other Learning Disabilities
- Attention Deficit/ Hyperactivity disorder
As well as various neurological disorders including:
The results of this evaluation will be used to develop recommendations for intervention. These recommendations can be implemented by special education professionals within the child’s local school system, or by private special education professionals, speech/language therapists, occupational therapists and physical therapists.
A secondary goal is the development of research programs designed to explore various questions pertaining to disorders of learning and memory in children.
Referral will be accepted directly from the child's:
- School System
Parents who would like an evaluation of their child's neuropsychological health should discuss a referral with one of the above professionals. Upon initiation of a referral, the following will be sent to the parents:
- Parent questionnaire
- Release of information forms to obtain school and prior medical records
- Parent and teacher behavior rating scales
- School report form
The requested information will be returned to Dr. Cohen, who will review the material and evaluate the appropriateness of the referral. An appointment for evaluation will then be scheduled.
The evaluation consists of two parts:
1. A Neuropsychological evaluation to be conducted by Dr. Cohen and a Psychometrist working under his direct supervision. This individual holds a Master’s degree in Psychology.
2. Follow-up consultation with parents – a written report, including diagnostic findings and recommendations, will be provided to the parents and any other agencies or professionals so designated (in writing) by the parents or guardians.
Sources of Payment
- Private insurance carriers
- Georgia Medicaid
- Private payment
To make an appointment please contact 706-721-0267.