The Only Certified ALS Clinic in Augusta, Georgia
Participate in the Ice Bucket Challenge and donate to the only local ALS organization today!
Georgia Regents Medical Center’s ALS Clinic a major initiative to serve ALS patients and their families in the Central Savannah River Area and beyond and one of 34 in the nation to be certified by the ALS Association (ALSA).
If you or someone you love has ALS, you know how difficult it is to be able to access the multidisciplinary care needed to treat and manage this neurodegenerative disease. At Georgia Regents Medical Center’s ALS Clinic in Augusta, GA., patients see their ALS physicians and other caregivers on the same day, in the same room, and receive highly specialized neurological care that may slow the disease progression.
What is ALS?
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), commonly known as "Lou Gehrig's disease," is a progressive neuromuscular disease that attacks, and eventually kills, the nerve cells and pathways in the brain and spinal cord. ALS inhibits all voluntary muscle action, leaving individuals paralyzed while mental faculties and senses remain unaffected.
Georgia Regents Medical Center’s ALS Clinic Offers:
- Easy access to comprehensive, coordinated care from ALS physician experts
- A full range of diagnostic tests, including electromyograms to record the electrical activities of muscles, nerve conduction studies, MRIs, spinal taps and blood and urine tests
- Medications to slow the progression of the disease and relieve symptoms
- An ALS support group for patients and family members
- Physical, occupational, respiratory and speech therapy by licensed professionals
- Registered Dietitians to address nutritional needs
- Nurse Case Managers to coordinate care and address the concerns of patients and their families
- A representative of the ALS Association who helps patients and their families access durable medical equipment and other services
- Medical social workers who guide patients to additional resources
- An alternative, or augmentative, communications specialist who explains alternative communications devices and trains patients to use this equipment
- Patient Family Centered Care
- Access to research and clinical trials
The Georgia Regents Medical Center ALS Clinic features a comprehensive, coordinated approach to patient care. While patients and caregivers stay in the comfort of private treatment rooms, specialists address the unique concerns of ALS.
Once a diagnosis is made, each patient is assigned to one of the Georgia Regents Medical Center’s ALS physicians. Patients will see the same physician during each clinic visit. Other health care team members include:
- Physical Therapists
- Respiratory Therapists
- Nurse Managers
- Social Workers
- Occupational Therapists
- Registered Dietitians
- Speech Therapists
- Assistive Technologists
ALSA of Georgia
Staff members from ALS Association (ALSA) of Georgia are available to discuss the programs and services provided by the organization. To contact ALSA of Georgia, call 888-636-9940 or visit the ALSA website.
Meet Our ALS Physicians
J. Edward Hartmann, MD
Michael H. Rivner, MD
Request an online appointment now or call our Scheduling Center today at 706-721-4581 or toll free at 800-736-CARE (2273). We invite you to call and speak directly with one of our health care team at 706-721-2681.