How Interventional Cardiology Works
During interventional cardiology, also known as cardiac catheterization, our highly skilled physicians insert a catheter—a thin, flexible wire—into the arteries surrounding your heart so they can diagnose and treat blockages without the need for invasive, open-heart surgery. The procedure reduces patient discomfort, decreases time spent in the hospital and doesn’t require anesthesia.
- 64-Slice CT Scanner, the latest in screening technology that captures fast, incredibly detailed views of the heart, giving our cardiologists the information they need to see and diagnose blockages quickly during emergencies
- Fully digital, high-resolution cineless (without film) technology that delivers accurate images in real time during procedures
- Intravascular ultrasound, which provides images inside the blood vessels during the procedure without the radiation of a standard X-ray
- Balloon angioplasty. A balloon is inflated inside the artery to flatten built-up plaque.
- Coronary stent implantation. A tiny coil is inserted into the artery to keep it open.
- Coronary artherectomy. Plaque is shaved away and removed from the body to open blockages.
- Rotoblation. A tip is used to bore into blockages, creating tiny debris that is cleared from the blood as waste.
- AngioJet®. To dissolve blood clots in coronary arteries before balloon angioplasty or to reopen coronary bypass grafts or clogged stents.
- Diagnostics and interventions for peripheral vascular disease (PVD) in the legs, arms and kidneys and for carotid artery disease.
- Treatment of Deep Vein Thrombosis—a blood clot in a deep vein—using an IVC filter, which can stop clots from traveling to your lungs and causing pulmonary embolism
- Impella partial circulatory support to permit catheterization of weaker hearts
The lab is also participating in multiple research studies designed to improve the outcomes of patients experiencing heart attacks.
Meet our Cardiac Catheterization Specialists
Dr. Deepak Kapoor
Dr. Vishal Arora
Dr. Paul Poommipanit