Historical Reflections: Celebrating 100 Years of Caring for Kids
Reaching out to the Community
The Wilhenford Hospital, the South’s first children’s hospital, addressed community health issues, including the on-going problem of making clean, fresh milk available to Augusta’s children.
“Our physicians not only care for the poor, but they also supply, at moderate costs, various preparations of modified milk for their private patients,” read the hospital’s 1912 annual report.
As the need for milk increased, the hospital opened a special room known as the “milk kitchen,” where milk could be sterilized and modified for babies both in the hospital and within the community.
The Children’s Hospital Association, working with the Georgia-Carolina Dairy Associates, established a “milk station” at the West End Candy Kitchen on upper Broad Street, selling milk at moderate prices. It also operated a “milk wagon” that traveled through areas of town where milk was badly needed.
Even though, nowadays, our “milk stations” can be found in the dairy section at our local grocery store, Children’s Hospital of Georgia still continues its tradition of providing outreach services. Efforts now focus on a variety of research, screenings and other endeavors designed to foster children’s health and wellness in many ways.
Click here to read more history or become a 100-year-old kid!