The Augusta, Georgia Area’s Pediatric Kidney Transplant Program for End Stage Renal Disease
The surgeons, pediatric nephrologists and other caregivers in Children’s Hospital of Georgia Kidney Transplant Program in Augusta, Georgia have given scores of children with end stage renal disease a new lease on life since the program was founded in 1969.
Working closely with pediatric nephrologists, caregivers guide children with end stage renal disease through transplantation and help them return to normal lives as quickly as possible. Care is delivered in a child-friendly environment.
The program has a 100% success rate, defined as transplanted kidney survival and function at both the one-year and three-year marks over the last six years as reported by the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients.
Pediatric Kidney Transplant Program Features:
- A pediatric kidney transplant surgeon and pediatric anesthesiologists who work in coordination with a pediatric nephrologist
- A urologist who can remove a kidney from a living related donor with minimally invasive surgery
- A dedicated pediatric psychologist who conducts thorough pre-op evaluations of transplant candidates and their families
- Preemptive transplants, to avoid dialysis when possible
- Close after-transplant monitoring in a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) staffed by Pediatric Intensivists
- Interpreters in many languages and a Spanish-speaking nephrologist
- Child Life Specialists to help children understand and cope with care
- Nurse clinicians who remain in close contact with the family and function as case managers
- Patient Family Centered Care
Meet Our Kidney Transplant Surgeon and Nephrologists:
Request an online appointment now or call 706-721-KIDS (5437)
or toll free at 888-721-KIDS (5437) to speak to a member of our pediatric kidney transplant team.
For more information, view Pediatric Transplant Program Questions and Answers.