Fetal Cardiology: Detecting Cardiac Abnormalities Before Birth
If your obstetrician knows or suspects that your unborn child has a heart problem, the Pediatric Cardiology Program at the Children’s Hospital of Georgia in Augusta, Georgia provides consultative fetal cardiology services to give your child the best possible start in life.
Identifying fetal heart defects allows cardiologists to alert others who will be involved in the birth and care of the mother and child, including neonatologists, cardiac surgeons and the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. It also allows physicians to refer the mother to other specialists if needed.
Fetal Cardiology Program Features
Our fetal cardiology program offers:
- Additional tests or therapies if needed
- Consultations with an experienced fetal cardiologist
- Fetal echocardiography to view the heart’s structure and function. This is best seen between 18-22 weeks gestation.
- Identification of abnormal cardiac structures and heartbeats and problems with cardiac function
- Prompt communication with your referring physician
Meet Our Fetal Cardiologist
Request an online appointment now or call 706-721-KIDS (5437) or toll free at 888-721-KIDS (5437) to speak to a member of our fetal cardiology team.