Pediatric Septic Shock
- Low cardiac output is associated with high mortality in pediatric shock.
- Volume resuscitation is initial goal in treatment of shock
- Use 20ml/kg of NS bolus infuse over 20 min or less
- May need to repeat 3-4 times, in a pt with healthy heart and kidneys since patient may have third spacing. there is no significant risk of respiratory or cerebral edema
- After 3- 4 boluses of NS if no improvement in perfusion consider inotropes. Epinephrine is drug of choice to start at 0.01mcg/kg/min
- Antibiotics should be started ASAP.
- Remember children can only improve their Cardiac output by increasing the heart rate. hypotension is a LATE and ominous sign of shock.
The information provided is intended as a resource only not medical advice.
Reference Article: Clinical practice parameters for hemodynamic support of pediatric and neonatal patients in septic shock. Critical Care Medicine 2002 Vol. 30, No 6
More information on pediatric shock