Palliative Care for Physicians
What is palliative medicine?
Palliative medicine is comprehensive, multidisciplinary care for patients with advanced illness whose treatment goals emphasize quality of life. Palliative medicine lessens the burdens and suffering of advanced illness through:
- aggressive medical management of pain and other debilitating symptoms
- counseling and support for the social, psychological and spiritual needs of patients and their families
Is palliative care the same as hospice?
No. Palliative therapies can be beneficial throughout advanced illness, and Palliative Medicine Consultants serves patients seeking a cure.
Who benefits from palliative medicine?
Patients, their families and attending physicians benefit from assured access to a team of experienced clinicians who focus on maintaining the best possible quality of life through:
- pain and symptom management
- disease education and advance care planning
- psychosocial and spiritual support
- coordination of community services
Palliative medicine consultations benefit referring physicians when:
- pain and debilitating symptoms are difficult to control
- ethical decision-making is unclear
- complex physical, psychological and social suffering requires extensive evaluation and close follow-up
Palliative medicine complements the attending physician’s care when comfort, counseling and quality of life become increasingly important.
How do I arrange a Palliative Medicine consultation?
Palliative Medicine Consultants’ services are available through consultations with the patient’s attending physician and will take place while the patient is still in the hospital. Call the Palliative Medicine team at 706-945-2564 to schedule a consultation.