Hyperaldosteronism: Who Should be Screened?
Which hypertensive patients have a high risk of hyperaldosteronism and should be screened?
- Stage 2 hypertension (Blood Pressure160/100 to179/109)
- Stage 3 hypertension (Blood Pressure >180/110)
- Drug resistant hypertension
- Hypertension and Hypokalemia (spontaneous or diuretic-induced)
- Hypertension with incidentaloma (incidental finding of an adrenal tumor)
- Hypertension and family history of early onset hypertension or stroke at age less than 40 years
- Hypertension with first degree relative (brother, sister, uncle, aunt, etc.) with primary hyperaldosteronism.
- Resistant hypertension
- Family history of the genetic form of hyperaldosteronism